75th Anniversary Celebration
W Bro John Emms, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, presided at the 75th Anniversary celebrations of the Lodge of Fellowship 5579, at Stirling Road, Birmingham.
Following a ceremony of passing, senior Past Master W Bro David Plimmer gave a very informative talk on the origins and formation of the Lodge and its thirteen original founders. The Lodge had been consecrated by the then Provincial Grand Master RW Bro Col WF Wyley and following the installation of the first Worshipful Master, all three sets of working tools were presented by the then Assistant Provincial Grand Master, W Bro Brigadier General Lord Henry Seymour.
(l-r) David Plimmer, John Emms and Ramesh Sethi cutting the cake.
Present at the celebration were representatives from mother (Doric 4167) and grandmother (Fletcher 1031) Lodges, and to commemorate the event, on behalf of the lodge W Bro Ramesh Sethi, Master, presented members with a pair of specially designed cuff-links and a lapel badge, also donating a pair to the Provincial Museum.
The menu for the 1935 consecration was a serious piece of history in itself. The 8 course meal had consisted of Oysters or Hors d'oeurves, Petite marmite, Dover Sole with crème Veloute, Saddle of mutton with redcurrant jelly, Roast Pheasant with game chips and salad, Coupe Jacques, Dessert and Coffee! The present day festive board was a simpler, but still celebratory affair, with the distinct atmosphere of a birthday party. A beautiful cake displaying the Lodge crest, baked by the wives of Master Elect Bro John Taylor and W Bro Brian Rogers, was jointly cut by the Worshipful Master, the Assistant PGM and the senior Past Master.
In the best traditions of our fraternity the evening concluded with a toast to the Lodge, proposed by the Assistant PGM, coffee, singing and cake.